Tenant Winterizing Tips
If you have not already done so, this is the time to do an audit of your rental home to make sure your space has been “winterized”.
A surprising amount of wasted energy and costs can be reduced by simply following some basic tips. These tips will show you how to be more energy efficient and save energy, money, and will go a long way to improving the environment and making it more comfortable.
- Open your blinds during the day, close them at night If your windows are facing the sun, let the sunshine in and turn on nature’s heater! Likewise, close blinds at night to add an extra layer to keep the cold out.
- Keep doors closed. If you have a large closet or any other rooms that aren’t heated (and don’t need to be), keep the doors closed to minimize the space requiring heating.
- Make sure your heat sources aren’t blocked. This may seem obvious, but make sure your furniture is not blocking any vents or radiators! This can have a big impact on how efficiently your home or apartment is heated.
- Use the ceiling fan (if you have them). If you think ceiling fans are just for cooling, think again. If you run fans in reverse, they’ll push warm air downward, to where you can enjoy it.
- Turn thermostats up when you’re at work
This may seem obvious but we can’t tell you how many times our maintenance tech has told us of homes that are “toasty warm” when he goes to perform a maintenance request and everyone is at work.